The Chief Administrative Officer directly supervises the positions of Superintendent, Public Works and Engineering Services, Director of Finance and Manager of the Cowichan Lake Education Centre and is both the officer responsible for corporate administration of the municipality and the officer responsible for financial administration and reports directly to the Mayor and Council. The powers, duties and functions for the position of chief administrative officer include:
* the overall management of the administrative operations of the municipality; ensuring that the policies and directions of council are implemented;
* advising and informing council on the operation and affairs of the municipality.
The powers, duties and functions of corporate administrator include:
* the keeping of minutes of council and committee meetings and that the minutes, bylaws and other records of the municipality are maintained and kept in a safe and secure location;
* providing access to records of the municipality as required by law or council;
* certifying copies of bylaws and other documents;
* administering oaths and taking affirmations, declarations and affidavits required to be taken in accordance with the law relating to local government matters;
* accepting notices and documents to be given, served on or filed with the municipality;
* keeping the corporate seal and having it affixed to documents as required.
The CAO is also the Approving Officer for subdivisions of land under the Land Title Act and administers the municipal subdivision bylaw
The CAO is also the Emergency Operation Centre Director for Zone 4 of the Cowichan Valley Regional District. The Emergency Planning Committee plans and conducts exercises for such events as wild fires and earthquakes. The Committee assumed the lead role in developing an evacuation plan for the high school which now serves as a model for all schools in the Cowichan Valley School District. Zone 4 comprises all of Electoral Areas F and I of the District and the Town of Lake Cowichan, reaching all the way to the west coast of Vancouver Island. The communities of Caycuse, Honeymoon Bay, Lake Cowichan, Mesachie Lake, Nitinat and Youbou are all within Zone 4.
The CAO also manages the areas of Economic Development, the Building Permit and Bylaw Enforcement and Fire Departments.
You may contact the Chief Administrative Officer by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org